Friday, February 10, 2006

ANTICIPATION

Tonite at dinner, while munching on the most delectable spareribs one could lick of a bone, DS3 asks if we are waiting up for him to come home after the movies. An unusual question for him, he usually wants to sneak in quietly in the wee am hours. Of course DH, with his suspicious Dad mind, asks "Why?" To which DS3 (there is a reason he was our lastborn) replies, "I have a surprise for you." DS3 is my out of the box thinker. We never know what he is going to come up with, or what he thinks "a surprise" entails.
Of course my immediate MOM reaction was "HE'S GETTING A TATTOO!" or "A BODY PIERCING!!" but after the 20 question MOM you're a MANIAC session, I ruled out a few of my fears. No tattoos, No piercings, no pregnant girlfriends, no friends moving in, no snakes or other pets. Not that those are necessarily bad things, but I think of them first. I was at a loss as to what the surprise was.
Then it dawned on me, the pieces all started falling into place.

a) earlier today when DS3 brought me lunch,(he is such a good boy) he asked if I had heard from DS2, who is 3 hours away at college.

b) he also mentioned, " I picked up the house, and cleaned my room" I about died of heart failure then!

c) on the way to dinner, he asked how long it would take to get from where DS2 is to here, and how the time zone change affected that.

d) he said he was going to a 9:15 movie, he left at 8:45 to pick up a girl who lives 20 minutes from us, and the theatre is another 25 minutes. Not enough time. He also said he would be home by 11:30. Not enough time to see a movie, take her home and get home. I don't care how fast he would drive.

So at dinner those three facts clicked in my head, and I said, " I know what the surprise is"
of course I did not tell him. I did write it on a piece of paper, and told DH, to which he agreed, I was probably right.

So here I sit, in anticipation and prayer. Did I mention we are expecting torrential rain and wind tonite?

Wondering....at the Western Gate.

:J