Monday, September 07, 2009

Labor Day Laboring

I'll probably put more Labor in today than I have all weekend. Not that I've been a total slug, but I/we've got things to do today. It promises to be a rainy day, so all my projects will keep me busy while it rains.
First some much promised pictures. Yes Teri, I was on my way to do this, when you reminded me to!
The banana nut muffins. Little but delish! I accidentally poured the baking soda into the wet stuff, instead of into the dry stuff like you are supposed to when I was making them. So I didn't get the "rise" that I usually get. But trust me, they were just as yummy!

Then there was the Bo Bunny Friends book I made. Not going to bore you with all the pictures. But here it is,

I would show you pictures of the Holly Jolly book and the Christmas tree book, but you really need to check out Linda's site, Hilltop Memories . She's got an awesome crop coming up on October 16-17-18 that you really need to attend. Creepover is soooo much fun!
Okay, so, because you maybe spider quesy, I'm not going to show that picture yet. I'm going to blog about today and then put the picture at the bottom, so that you won't get freaked and not finish reading.
SO, today is Labor Day. I said I was going to sleep in, but I was actually awake before the alarm went off to wake hubby up for football practice. So, no sleeping in for me. Which is fine really. I love mornings, especially mornings I can relax and enjoy. I've already got supper in the crockpot, Spareribs and sauerkraut. So if you're hungry, come on over! It's one of the guys favorite meals, and they've been craving it. It's not a hot weather meal, so since it's cooled off a tad, I'm cooking it!
I've got one load of laundry in the wash, several more sorted. When I get off of here, I'm going to make a batch of biscuits and gravy, using my much older sister's secret gravy recipe. And no, for those of you who know my sister, and know she doesn't cook much, it's not out of a can.
After Hubby gets home from football practice and showers, we're headed to the base. He needs a haircut, I want to shop some in the exchange. We've also got to stop at Lowe's for sheetrock. He's finally fixing the hallway wall that some teen age boys who shall remain nameless, punched a hole in a few years ago. But that's what happens when you have three hormone charged boys living in a small space together. Or so I'm told. And really, when they are at that stage in life, is there a space big enough for 3 of them? You thought lions fought over control of the pride? They have nothing on three brothers! But don't let anyone else harm one of them, then you will see ferocious!
So that's my day in a nutshell. Shopping, Avoiding work in the hallway, and laundry. Now for Mr. Spider. So if you are arachnophobic, this is where you sign off.
Yesterday I had a "teachable moment" with some young neighbor kids about our spider. Patrick had been upset the past few days because he's noticed that they were throwing rocks and sticks at the web. So when I saw them doing that, I went out and asked them not to. Like most normal children, they were concerned the spider would bite them. I assured them he wouldn't if they left him alone. We spent 20 minutes talking about spiders. I think they won't bother him anymore. Here he is. Not the best pictures, but you get the drift.
Here's the bottom half of his web. It is hard to get a good picture of it. It measures a good 5 feet around.

Here he is. He has a bright yellow body, black head and eyes that are white. They call these banana spiders, probably because his yellow body resembles a banana. He's as big as my hand, about 5-6 inches long. His body and head are about the size of my little finger.
I was in a woods once north of Mobile Alabama, where the it was just full of these spiders and their webs. It looked archaic and magical with all the webs hanging all over the woods. But spooky too.