Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Can Someone Stop This Rain?

We arrived in Wisconsin 6 days ago. I have 5 days left on my vacation here. Since we've gotten here it's rained 4 days. The 2 days it hasn't rained it's been cold and overcast. I know, I know, what did I expect Up North?
In the few moments of sunshine, I can see the beautiful colors of the fall leaves beginning to turn. I want pictures!!! But with grey overcast skies, fall leaves just aren't as pretty as when the sun is shining through them. Hopefully, in the next four days, I will have some sunshine. Even if it is, 30 degrees. I know, that's why I came to Wisconsin.
We spent yesterday's rainy day visiting my husband's great aunt Ruth in her assisted living facility. She's 95! What a hoot! She wouldn't let me take her picture because she hadn't had her hair done. She was a beautician, and always had her hair perfect. So since she thought her hair wasn't perfect (it was) no picture.
Ruth kept us entertained all afternoon with her antics and stories. The nurses (don't know what they are doing) the food (you would think they could give me some gravy), her "illusions".
Apparently her meds got a little mixed up and for a few days she had "illusions". She thought two men were in her room and each of them had a dog with them. One had a little black poodle, the other a little brown dog with a hairy face. She didn't mind the men, but those dogs just simply could not be in her room! But the nurses said their were no dogs or men, she was having "illusions". Too funny!
Auntie Ruth's mind was a sharp as a tack. She knew my husband and she hadn't seen him in a few years! When he tried to sneak out of the room without saying good bye (he hates nursing homes) she said, "where's Ricky? He didn't say good bye?" "make him come back and tell me good bye!" Too funny! I just love her.
I remember one of the first times I met Aunt Ruth, we were up here in Wisconsin visiting and decided to have pizza for supper. Aunt Ruth was in her late 60's and claimed to have never had pizza to eat. She declared it good, and wondered why she'd never eaten it. Now all she wants is gravy on her potatoes. I told her life's to short, eat her chocolate pie instead. She laughed.