So much has been said lately about changes going on, and I continue to make my stand. I will not change things I have no control over, I will accept them or move on. That said I have to tell you about change made in my life today.
It's a long story so pull up a seat and grab a margarita. Sometimes, change is good.
DH and I bought this house 13 years ago. It was a time of change for our family, he was nearing the end of his Naval career, we had children beginning to enter high school. We came to the decision, when his tour was up in Pensacola, that we (me & 3 boys) would remain here as he went on to Newport News, VA for his next duty station. Since we were living in Navy housing, that meant we had to get a house.
We found this charming ranch on a little more than half an acre about six months into the search. It had all the requirements to raising a family of 3 boys. A big Yard, plenty of bedrooms, fireplace, hardwood floors and charm & character. Not to mention, 12 oaks and 12 other various trees including six pines.
Most of that is irrelevant information, what is important is the neighbors next door. Buddy & Mickey are an older couple whose children are my age. They are the sweetest people on God's green earth. We all became fast friends, and they became surrogate grandparents to my kids. Years passed, and the freindship grew and we were all one big happy family.
That was until the Great Puddle Divide of 2005 as I call it. B&M had a huge ole smelly puddle on their driveway that never seemed to dry up. Buddy did what he could, and dogged the county to do something about the terrible drainage we have in our neighbor hood. We don't have gutters, or sidewalks, get the picture? All he really wanted was a load of gravel at the end of the drive to give the water somewhere to drain. It made sense to all of us, but we know how the government works. There has to be a better way than the simple way!
So they sent out engineers and surveyors and lots of people in important suits to look at the puddle that was only about 6 foot wide. All the important people decided that the best thing to do would be to dig a ditch 3 -1/2 acre lots long around the front of the 3 houses and through one of our yards and that would fix the problem. Well first they wanted to do it through B&M's yard, then our yard, and then B&M's yard. WE actaully all agreed our yard would be better, less stressful on them and we could maintain it better. But NO, the county knew more. In the months of the Great Puddle Divide, tempers began to get short and flared up. What once were great neighbors quit speaking to each other. The ditch, when completed, went through B&M's yard and NO one in the neighborhood was happy with the results. Not only were friendships broken, but our properties looked like crap. This is about the time I became a proponent of the accepting change I had no control of and moving on with my life. Months have passed, Mr. Buddy got sick and passed away, I felt so bad, I wanted to go over and hold Mickey and console her, but my fear of rejection overcame my knowing what was right to do. So I didn't go. Months have passed.
Again, something or someone brought on the change that happened today. I was in the yard, taking pictures of my blooming flowers, when all of the sudden Miss Mickey was at my side. She said, "Can I talk to you a minute?"
I froze in my steps and replied, "sure, what's up?"
She broke my heart as she stood there with tears in her eyes and apologized for the Great Puddle Divide, and anything else She or Mr. Buddy may have done. She wanted for us all to be family again, that she missed us, and needed us. It was then I lost all composure, right there and then in my front yard with all the world around us. I blithered like a fool, and I apologized for all we might have done or said. I told her what I wanted to do when I heard about Mr. Buddy, how he was the greatest of men, loved by all who knew him.
We stood and chatted awhile, mostly about our shared love of flowers, butterflies and nature, and when I said I needed to get going, we decided that nothing would ever come between us, that we would remain buds and forgive each other. It is a good day.
So sometimes change that starts out bad can be turned around to good. Maybe we all won't end up singing kum-by-yah, holding hands around a campfire. Maybe why the change at CKMB isn't about the board changes at all, and the split is for a reason, perhaps we Monkeys are being brought together for reasons still unknown. For whatever the reason, I embrace this change, which I deeply feel will be for the good.
Just Wondering at the Western gate,
:J







