As I was growing up, my mother always had a flower garden. She grew poppies, roses, lilacs, geraniums, sedum, peonies, daisies, jack-in-the-pulpit, Dutchman's britches and lilies of the valley to name a few. She always kept a pot of water lilies on the front porch. She diligently kept them watered, and seperated the bulbs when the container grew too full.When she died, and we seperated her household belongings, one of the plants I wanted was that original pan of water lilies. So I brought them home with me, not knowing if they would even survive the heat of Florida. I am not so good at watering them as she was. I haven't ever seperated them even though they are now crammed in the pot. But they have survived the heat and my neglect.
Every once in awhile they bloom. Mostly after a hard rain, as they did after Ivan, reminding me that life will go on. Once they bloomed after I had had a bad week at work, culminating with a disagreement with a co-worker whom I detested. Again today, on Mother's day, when I have been thinking of my Mom, and missing her.
I think sometimes when they bloom it is she who has been watering them. It's Mom's way of letting me know she is watching me and that things will be better another day.
Wondering,
:J







