Sunday, May 28, 2006

My Veteran

This is my dad. He served his country in the US Navy during World War II. He was drafted, but qualified for deferment because he was a head of household with a family. But he went anyway. He went to boot camp in Farragut, Idaho, leaving behind a wife and two children. He became a Machinist Mate and was stationed in New Guinea. He spent most of the war repairing ships in the Pacific. He would tell the story about how he narrowly missed being bombed. Every day his work crew would board a boat and travel to ships docked offshore to repair them. On this day one of the men realized he forgot his work pouch just the transport boat was getting ready to leave. They waited as he ran back to the bunkhouse to get it. When he returned as they left the dock, they watched as a Japanese plane flew over and bombed the ship. Had the man not forgotten the pouch, they would have been working on the ship. Thank God for that!

I, of course, was nowhere in the picture, not even the twinkle in his eye. But I remember the pictures and stories he told of being there and in the war. There were two pictures that I recall as my favorites, One of him in a grass skirt and one of his other "family", a native New Guinea black woman and a slew of kids. They weren't really his family, he just loved to tease us.


My dad never questioned his obligation to go, it was his duty as an American man, and he was proud to have served. I was equally as proud, later on, as his daughter, that he served his country well. He of course came back from the war to his family and went on to have another family.

As a little girl, one of my favorite things on rainy days, was to sit on the front porch and listen to his Navy stories and sing his Navy songs. I still have his Blue Jackets Manual, the book issued to every Navy man in boot camp.

He was a well respected man in our little community. I don't think he had an enemy in the world and liked every one. He was always willing to help someone in need and didn't speak ill of anyone. His theory was if he didn't like someone, he just didn't talk about them at all.
That's my dad, I'm proud of him, I love him, and I miss him everyday.
:J Posted by Picasa