It's no long weeks, but days till our big trip to God's Country. I remember our first visit to my in-laws house in the woods. We left the interstate about 45 minutes from their house and almost immediately smelled the pine scent. From then on, that was the signal to my sons that we were almost to Grandpa & Grandma's house.
Nothing changes there, life is at a standstill. No new superstores, no traffic, billboards or unsightly hurricane debris piles, sitting on the side of the road. If we are lucky, and we usually are, we will get to see the Amish go by in their buggies. If we aren't, Grandpa will always take us to the Amish bakery, for treats to eat.
I think we are the first to arrive, followed by the Colorado family, then my boys on Friday and Rick's sister from Sheboygan. On Saturday the cousins come, just for the day. I feel like a kid at Christmas, I am so excited about this trip. Our family always has such fun, just hanging together. I know I will come home 10 lbs heavier and with new recipes we love.
I can't wait to walk around the block every morning, of course their block is over a mile long. But that's okay, I can do it! Cool air, no humidity, walking that mile will be a breeze! Of course in the evening we will all pile in the car to go deer hunting. Wait! before you think I am a Bambi Killer, let me explain. Our family tradition is to pile in the car after dinner and drive around til dark looking for deer. Just to see them, nibbling on their evening meal of grass and clover. The Deer Hunt continues every time we get in the car, wether it is 8 am or 8 pm. We are always looking for deer. Besides, when you hunt deer, you have to be quiet, which is a great activity for the little ones! I will be sure to have my camera with me to nab a few shots. Which will be the only shots I take.
Our family is blessed with such a wonderful place to come home to. We never take for granted the quietness of the woods, the smell of the pines or the sight of a deer. God has blessed us richly. Every day.
:J







