He was the one who didn't like little kids. They are too noisy, too demanding and too messy. What did he think he was at that age? He says he doesn't want to have children. But if he does, he says he is only having one. That was until he met Ben.
Ben & Patrick have always hit it off. Patrick doesn't know it, but Ben is him, when he was Ben's age. Smart, funny and very inquisitive. ALL BOY! Ben is Patrick's 2nd cousin, son of Patrick's cousin, Sarah. Ben is also quite taken with Patrick. He warmed up to Patrick quicker than he did any of the other cousins the first time they met.
One day while I was shopping with Ben & his mother, we found a snap together helicopter model that Ben just had to have. He had never put together a model, but I knew he could do this one with a little help. So in the cart it went.
The model went untouched for a few days when suddenly in the middle of the family reunion, Ben decided he wanted to put it together. Patiently he asked everyone to help him. "No, not now" "Wait til everyone else leaves" "The little ones will ruin it" were several of the answers he got from us adults not wanting to leave our fun.
That's where Patrick came in. "Come on Ben, we'll go in the house and do it."
So this is where I found them, at the table, intently working, Patrick's hands quideing Ben's.
Ben & Patrick have always hit it off. Patrick doesn't know it, but Ben is him, when he was Ben's age. Smart, funny and very inquisitive. ALL BOY! Ben is Patrick's 2nd cousin, son of Patrick's cousin, Sarah. Ben is also quite taken with Patrick. He warmed up to Patrick quicker than he did any of the other cousins the first time they met.
One day while I was shopping with Ben & his mother, we found a snap together helicopter model that Ben just had to have. He had never put together a model, but I knew he could do this one with a little help. So in the cart it went.
The model went untouched for a few days when suddenly in the middle of the family reunion, Ben decided he wanted to put it together. Patiently he asked everyone to help him. "No, not now" "Wait til everyone else leaves" "The little ones will ruin it" were several of the answers he got from us adults not wanting to leave our fun.
That's where Patrick came in. "Come on Ben, we'll go in the house and do it."
So this is where I found them, at the table, intently working, Patrick's hands quideing Ben's.
It's one of those moments when I realized my little boy was grown up. He does have patience with little ones, he will be okay as a dad. Not once did he raise his voice in frustration, as a matter of fact he barely spoke above a whisper. Quietly and patiently explaining to Ben how to put the model together, step by step, letting Ben do the work., telling him how well he was doing with this model. I wanted to hug him so much right then. Tell him he was also doing a great job! Just when I thought it wasn't possible, he does show me he is maturing. Then not an hour later, I caught him back being Pat, as he and his brother roughhoused with Ben the way their uncles did them when they were that age. "Holding you ransom by your toes!" or "We'll pull you apart and eat your ribs!"

Boys will be boys. From one generation to another family traditions continue. It's just too bad sometimes that little boys have to grow up. But when they do, it's good to know there's still a little boy left inside them.
:J







