Sunday, December 10, 2006

A Day to Put Me in the Christmas Spirit

One of the hardest things for me as a native midwesterner living in Florida is to get in the Christmas Spirit while the weather is warm, trees green and no snow. Every year I do my Christmas shopping in shorts at least one day. The rest of the days I usually go jacketless. The past few days have turned chilly tho, somewhat reminding me of winter.
Santa's arrival by fire truck to our neighborhood this morning also signaled to me that Christmas is near. I heard him coming from blocks away and while he didn't get down and listen to every child's wish, he did give them an early gift of a stuffed animal and some candy. He passed by me tho and just waved. I wonder if that is a hint of what's to come Christmas eve. Haven't I been a good girl this year? The evening brought the Annual Pensacola Christmas parade, despite the chilly temps, these girls were ready to twirl their little hearts out the entire 3 mile length of the parade. I was in my long johns, turtle neck sweater & jacket. I would have not been able to lift my baton had I been them.
The floats were lit up in their usual finery, tossing Mardi Gras beads, candy and stuffed animals to all 30,ooo people lining the downtown streets. I was a Marshall, given a half a block to guard and make sure no little ones went over barricades for a penny piece of candy and to keep them safe from the floats. I enjoyed picking up missed beads & candy and giving them to the littlest ones who patiently waited for things to be thrown to them. Most everyone was cooperative, letting the littlest ones have all the prizes.
Krewe of Lafitte has their own parade during Mardi Gras, but they delight everyone anytime they bring out the Dragon float. It was decked with Christmas bows and lights with the Holiday spirit.

Although I didn't get a picture, it was awesome to see 6 of our 7 high school bands lined up to get into their place in the parade. (the final one was returning from Miami where they had played in their HS football Championship game) They had a drum off while they waited, which sounded awesome admist the brick walls of the surrounding buildings.
Everyone was in the holiday mood, and finally I think, so am I!
Merry Christmas!
:J Posted by Picasa