Monday, November 06, 2006

Lest Ye be Judged

Apparently I've opened a can of worms when I recently asked a question on a message board. I've been asked by our local fair board to chair a committee to bring scrapbooking into the Hobbies division of the fair. I thought my question at the message board was innocent enough, but was surprised at how adamant people are on what makes a good scrapbooking Layout.
In the fair everyone who enters a project is judged and given a ribbon. Best of Show ribbons would be given for the best project (in the judges opinion), Blue ribbons are for first, Red for second and White for third. In some cases, Green "participation" ribbons are also given. People entering the fair know they will be judged. It's up to them how much personal value they give to these ribbons.
My question on the message board seemed honest enough to me. "What criteria would you use, or have you used, to judge a LayOut?" Boy! Did I get what I asked for! While I did get some very excellent suggestions, I was surprised at some of the opinions stated also. I think I have a long year ahead of me in preparation for next years fair.
Some seemed shocked that we would even "judge" Layouts. But that's what the fair is all about. Well, that and rides, food that is horribly bad for you, and seeing that even your family tree is more normal than some.
In the end, I am glad I won't be a judge. But it will be my job to find judges who know enough about scrapbooking & art to know what makes a pleasing LO. Whether it contains a great picture or many, journaling or not, is plain or fancy, they will choose the best in their opinion. The people who enter expect this, they know they will be judged by the criteria listed in the fair book. In the end though, it's about getting our craft out to the public, perserving our past, for the generations to come.


:J