Sunday, November 18, 2007

Beach Days

There is nothing like the beach to make you forget there is a world going on without you. The beach makes you realize, reprioritize, and focus on what is most important. Especially when surrounded by family, you remember what it is all about!
We had another great time in our lives. More than the pictures will ever tell, the stories will be passed on, and this vacation is one we will all talk about for a long time. It was great having young kids around again. They enjoy the little things that as an adult I have lost focus of. They are so enthused by the smallest of things. I feel like a kid again after spending a week with the greats, as we call them.
The grands are no longer kids. They are adults now, parents to the greats. Adults with responsibilities, jobs, bills, and mortages. So much like us, they also enjoyed being reminded of how to be kids again.
As it is with all reunions, there was laughter and tears, hugs and kisses, good days and bad. But as it is whenever you are with family, there was unconditional love. We cooked too much, ate too much, laughed and lazed and played too much. But we were family, for all that it is and all that it will be, we are family.
These two are probably the closest thing I have to daughters right now. Rick's goddaughters, Sarah & Jenny. They are also his neices, but they hold a special place in his heart, as does he in theirs.
 

Ben, all boy and part fish, swam EVERY day. It was his goal from the minute we pulled up to the shore. He was going to swim every day! He swam even on the coldest day. Ben marched right down to the beach, shed his sweats, and jumped in. I give him the polar bear award for that! He thought the Blue Angels air show was most awesome, the USS Alabama really cool, and his own private dolphin show and an extra two days of private Blue Angels show the best! He brought back to us all those little boy memories, the amazement of finding "dead things" at the beach, thrills of finding the neatest shells and skeletons, and the ability to down a whole soda in a gulp. I'd forgotten those things about boys!
When Ben wasn't in the water, pretending he was a fish, he concentrated on his homework, reading, teasing his uncles, aunts and grandpa. He and Patrick bonded, I think because Patrick got to treat him like the little brother he never had. That or like the crazy uncle he's going to be. Ben, like all boys loves Nintendo. Here's a pic of all the kids playing PSP while the adults watched the Packer/Viking game.
 

Sarah captured this picture of me & hubby. I love this picture of us. It will go on my desk for sure!
 

Anastasia,the youngest was content to let everyone in the water. She played in the sand, digging, chattering to herself, happily entertaining herself while the other cousins acted like crazy people in the water. As much as Ben is all boy, she is all girl. So sweet, but like that little girl with the curl, she had her moments! But I love this pic of her the best.
 
So that's this installment. I love our family vacations, what it does to us, bringing us closer as a family. It makes you appreciate what truly is important. Not things, but people.