Friday, April 03, 2009

Suffering from Frigid Cold

You would think living where I do in April, I would be warm. I am, most days, most of the time. But it's the time of year that I suffer from frigid cold.

Every morning I wake up expecting to open my closet and pick a beautiful, bright colored spring outfit to wear to work. Then it hits me, I have to prepare for the frigid cold. So I look at the brown, the black, the dreary, heavy, wintery clothes I've grown tired of wearing.

I don't adhere to the strict unwritten fashion law about not wearing short sleeves, or white before Easter. I live in the south after all. I'm almost 50, and don't care what others think about my outfits. I wear dark, dreary, heavy winter clothes so I can survive the day in our building.

It's not just me, it's all my hallway mates. While the rest of the building is comfortable in the recently turned on air conditioning, our side of the building is in the frozen tundra. We run heaters, dress in long johns and drink more coffee so that we can pick up the cup to warm our hands.

Our air system is ancient, they say the problem is just that, a problem and it can't be fixed. We've tried closing the ducts to our offices, it doesn't seem to help. We've tried taping the ducts shut, the artic blast just blows the tape off.

So we freeze, wear dreary winter clothes, wipe our runny noses and suffer from sinus problems. I think I may move north. It is probably warmer now.