I took off Thursday afternoon for a visit in Orange Park with one of my oldest and dearest friends. I love visiting Karen, her house is so relaxing and peaceful. No one to take care of but us. It leaves us to our merry whim, whatever we want to do that day we do.
I'm an early riser, so every morning I could be found on her back porch with my morning coffee, watching the wildlife that habitate the canal she lives on.
The first morning Mama duck brought her three babies to meet me. She came right up to the screen door, just a squaking away! I found out that she expects bread every morning. So I gave her some. She kept a watchful eye out while her babies ate, then she had some too.
Daddy Duck wasn't far behind. He stayed further out in the yard, keeping his eyes open for the resident hawk of the canal. It took both of them to keep their babies safe from the hawk
This bird, an egret I think, would never come up in the yard to eat. I think he preferred fish and frogs which I wasn't serving.
The geese stayed on the other side also. They sure honked and honked tho. I thought they wanted food, because when they came by there was no more. But I put bread pieces all the way out to the waters edge trying to lure them closer, but they'd have none of that.
We also had a sand hill crane encounter on our way to the IKEA Store in Orlando. Right in the middle of Interstate 4, across 4 lanes of traffic, like they owned the world, trotted a pair of sand hill cranes. We came within inches of hitting them and they didn't even seemed fazed. Sorry, I didn't get a picture of that. I was too busy putting myself back togehter after that near encounter. It was unbelievable to me that they just walked across I-4 right in the middle of rush hour downtown traffic.
It's back to work this morning for me. Do I have to?








