After I took care of my family duties on Sunday, I escaped to the beach for a few hours of total relaxation before the chaos that is the first day of school. It's become a tradition with my friend, Linda and I, to spend that last real day before students come back, at the beach. Even tho she's moved on to a higher educational facility, we still stay in touch and continue our wonderful traditions.
By the time we got the cooler packed, chairs loaded and sunscreen on, it was almost 2:00 p.m.. A great time to arrive at the beach if you ask me. Most of the tourists have long been burnt to a crisp, the families have headed home for naptime, and only us older folks are just staking out our spots.
A family that had been there earlier had created the mermaid. It's funny how out of the whole beach, we sat down right next to her before we realized she was there. A father and son drew our attention to her, the young son asking questions about why she was there. And there she was.
It was a wonderful afternoon to be at the beach. The waves were calm, visibility was so clear. We watched a lost beach ball float out to sea for a good half hour. We could see the oil rigs off shore of Alabama, a good 15 miles out. The dolphins and pompano were jumping all afternoon, probably enjoying the cooler air brought on by a cold front that passed through during the night. We watched a tourist get caught on the finger by a crab. His peril for catching the critter in the first place.
We wiled away the hours, people watching, talking, eating pringles and enjoying our beverages. We solved the problems of the world, at least ours anyway, with the ease that comes from being at the beach. I fought off biting flies by throwing sand on my legs as they landed there. Finally they took off for sweeter meat sitting 10 yards away.
And tho I feel as washed out as she probably is now, I'm glad for our afternoon with the mermaid. It was a great prerequisite for a first day of chaos at school.







