Saturday, August 15, 2009

So It's Saturday!

I'm cleaning and doing laundry and actually enjoying it. It's theraputic and I must be a sick individual. Most of my friends are at a great crop, Fried Green Tomatoes in Sebring Florida. So maybe I'm just convincing myself I'm enjoying cleaning.
I picked up a treasure the other day, This!

I know it doesn't look like much, but it's more of a sentimental value than anything. My mom had this exact cook book. It was probably one of her original cookbooks as it's dated 1947 around the time she married. I wanted it, it has alot of the recipes she used cooking for us when we were growing up. Many of the old Penn. Dutch and German recipes, that I'm sure were handed down through the family came out of this book. So it's invaluable for that, where else would she have learned to cook Pork Ribs and Sauerkraut? Yep, it's in this book.
It also has great recipes from all over the U.S.. Great Gumbo from the Creole section. Fried Chicken from many parts of the country, and coastal recipes from the Atlantic.
So since I didn't win that battle when we split up the household stuff, I've always had my eye open for this book. A few weeks ago when I was home, I copied down the title, author and publisher and began my search. I paid $20 for it on alibris.com and had it in two days!
I sent a picture to my brother saying look what I have now! I know his heart stopped a minute thinking I'd "borrowed" his copy. But he said my copy is actually in better shape. Mine came with the original paper cover also. Looking for an odd, old recipe your mom or granny used to make? It's probably in here!
I'm back to cleaning house, doing laundry, and I'm craving the ribs and sauerkraut too. Maybe that's what I'll make for dinner???