Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Chow Down

Last night was that annual tradition in Southern High School Football, the ChowDown. A ChowDown is held usually the week before the first football game of the season. It's usually held in the High School cafeteria or gym with all the coaches, players and parents gorging themselves on food. "Parents bring enough food to feed your family and 3 hungry football players", is how our invites read. It's an evening to meet other parents, the coaches, boosters and the players. A good time will be had by all.
Last night I got the job of tea pouring. Me, alone, for 105 players and coaches, parents, siblings, coaches wives and boosters. If it had not been for two lovely little elementary school girls who iced the cups for me, I would still be there this morning. Thanks girls!
It amazes me still after raising 3 boys, how much food a boy can eat. They came by me with plates piled 6 inches high with food, and another plate piled high with deserts. Most of the boys with plates piled high were the scrawny kids. I don't know where they put all that food!
The Food! OMG! One mom brought an eleven pound roast that was out of this world! A large pan of mostacolli (sp?) went almost untouched and it was delish! I snagged that for leftovers after. There was enough fried chicken to feed an army, homemade lasagne, stroganoff, steak (yes someone brought steak!) veggies and salads of all kinds, a 10 foot sub and 4 sub platter trays, two different types of chili, beef stew, and every kind of roll and dessert you can imiagine. As you can imiagine, the food was awesome and we got stuffed!
It was hard to hear the speakers, but I fault that with coaches who didn't control the boys or parents not controling their children. That was kind of rude I thought. Why is it when a parent gets in a crowd of people and kids are acting up, most of these parents sat idly by and let their children talk and be rude while ADULTS were speaking. It made me glad mine had graduated, he would have NOT been able to act that way!
I hope every parent in attendance signed up to volunteer for concession just one game! I hope they bought an ad for the program. Finally, if nothing else I hope they joined the Quarterback Club! High School is the best time to be involved with your kids, know what they are doing and know the parents and kids they are running with!
Have a wondermous day!

:J