It wasn't the weather, or the fact that I had all my housework and laundry done by 11 a.m., it was a phone call. In the middle of the day, that interupted my scrapping and it was a call that made me smile, inside and outside, one of those deep in your soul, satisfying, giggly smiles.
The phone rang and it was DS2, Kevin, calling me from Tallahassee. He never calls on Saturday afternoons. He always has more important things to do then, like playing Madden 2006, excersizing or doing his laundry. But he called and I asked, "what's up?"
"I just called to say I love you and to thank you for raising me the way you did." Hmmm, my head spun as I picked my jaw up from off the floor. "Oookkaaaay, what's up??" I asked again. Expecting bad news, I need bail money news, I lost my apartment news, you know the news you know you will hear when you never hear from them and then they call.
"Well, mom it's a long story, but ya know, you did raise me right" (Thank you GOD!) someone noticed. I had to know, "So what's the story?"
"Well, it's Justin, (his roommate of 4 years, and best friend for 7 years) He wrecked his car last night, put it in the ditch, (2006 Mustang Convertible, his 3rd mustang I know of) and then after he called road service, he came back to the apartment and left the car in the ditch" Btw, it isn't even his apartment anymore, his lease was up in July.
"Oh really" I said. "Why didn't he stay til the wrecker came?"
"Well mom, you know him, he said he had a drink, one drink, and that he was afraid the cops would come and he would get a DUI"
"Oh I see, I don't think that he would get one for one drink, do you?"
"Well mom, I dunno, but after he got to the apartment, he and his frat buddies continued to drink, then the tow truck guy called and said he couldn't move the car until they filed a police report." "So Justin was going to just let them impound the car and go get it tomorrow."
At this point none of this was making any sense to me. Why would he do that?
"So at that point his buddies decided to call a cab and head down to the bar that they were headed to when they wrecked." "They asked me to go, but I didn't" (Thank you GOD!)
"About that time the police showed up and wanted to know what had happened. I told Justin to tell the truth, even tho his buddies said not to."
Okay and........
"Well he got a ticket for careless driving." "But that's not all of it, he had called his parents, (the ones who continue to buy this guy new mustangs to wreck) and they went psycho on him."
Well duh what did you think would happened?
"They told him he was worthless, and that the only way he continue to live in their house, would be with no car, no cell phone, and no credit cards."(Which they pay all of)
Well hello, he is a 23 year old college grad, who has never worked a day in his life! It's time!
"Well Kevin, that's their perogative, they pay his bills."
"I know mom, but even when I do the stupidest stuff, you & Dad have never said I was worthless"
"Well Kev, it's time for Justin to grow up and find out what the real world is like, maybe this is what he needs to do it." "He isn't working?"
"Nope"
"Wow"
"So that's why I called, to tell you thanks for making me work for everything, not handing it all to me, and for never telling me I was worthless, even when I probably deserved it." "Your psycho moods are nothing compared to his mom's." "I love you mom!"
And that's when I smiled, that big inside the soul, satisfying, giggly smile. Because I had those doubts. When "everyone else" was doing it, and Kevin wasn't allowed. When "everyone else" got brand new cars for graduation and he didn't. When "everyone else" was so important and I didn't care what "everyone else" thought. He was going to do it our way. So this is one of those days I waited for. I knew they would come, other parents who didn't bend to "everyone else" told me they would. It felt so good. Even tho my job with them is not ever done, and even tho not a one of us is perfect, that inside the soul, satisfying, giggly smile felt so good.
I love my boys!
:J







