Monday, August 14, 2006

Mundane Monday

There's nothing exciting going on here at the Western Gate. It's just another Monday, not the first day of school, nothing to look forward to, just another day. I scrapped a bit this past weekend, mostly heritage photos, which always gets me thinking about the lives my ancestors led. What would they have been doing at my age?
My mother at 45 had two young children. I was 7 and my brother 5. I can't imagine! How did she do it? At that time she was a stay at home Mom, and our house was spotless. Mom usually took an hour off a day to sit with her neighborhood friends in the kitchen for coffee. Mom didn't drive, so she had to wait for my Dad to take her to "town" for groceries and shopping. A big exciting day meant a trip to the "City" 20 miles away for shopping at smart!
My maternal grandmother had passed away by the time she would have been 45. She didn't get to see her daughters grow up or to know any of her 4 grandchildren. She died at age 32 while having an operation. She was a pretty woman, I wish I could have known her.
My paternal grandmother was a simple farm wife. She and my grandfather farmed and raised 4 children. Her house was simple, with no running water or indoor plumbing. She had a garden she tended every day, a house she kept spotless, laundry she did by hand and didn't drive or ever leave the county she was born in. She walked 7 miles one way every day to take her husband's lunch to him at the family dairy. Her excitement for the week was going into town on Saturday for items they needed, not wanted.
So while I think my life is mundane, my ancestors one or two generations before me would probably be flabbergasted at a simple day in my life. I travel more in one day then they probably did in a week. I have modern conveniences to help me with my mundane chores and still I gripe about not having enough time to do them. If I don't feel like cooking there is a plethora of places I can go to to eat or even have delivered. Yet sometimes I sit back and wonder, which of us really had it all?
I'd like to trade, if only for a day.

:J