Sunday, August 27, 2006

Here We Go AGAIN!

The Weather Channel has joined ESPN and the NFL channel as the most watched stations on the TV. At 10 after the hour we check TWC for our "Update from the Tropics", watching as Ernesto develops and makes his path.
A hurricane in the gulf always makes life interesting here on the coast. At our weekly trek this morning to the base for groceries, activity was busy. In the commissary, carts of water, batteries and staple food items were piled in carts. The commissary itself was busier than normal. The base gas station was also busy, the guy ahead of us filled up 3 five gallon gas cans. We have all learned from Ivan, Katrina, Dennis and their cousins. Be prepared if you are staying. Leave early if you are going.
It's understood in our household that a Category 2 or stronger hurricane will see me in the car headed to safe ground. My husband and son see it differently than I do. It must be a man thing. Two days before local landfall, I will pack the car, load the dog, say my good byes and leave them to fend here. It's not that I don't like storms, they fascinate me. But I deeply respect the power they have and know that I am no match for them.
So what will I do if Ernesto makes his way here? I tease and say I am headed for my in laws in Wisconsin. But in reality I will probably stay as close as I can out of harms way. I watched the destruction of Ivan from my son's apartment in Tallahassee. I worried for a few days until I got through to home. The sight of the I10 bridge in pieces made me wonder if I ever would get home.
Hurricanes are not to be taken lightly, the past few years have taught all of us in Florida and the Gulf Coast that. Recovery is still not finished for many of us. People ask how we can tolerate what we go through, where do we find the will to go on. Some of us don't. We move away, far inland. Those of us who stay, and those of us who return, think even with what we go through, it's still a small price to pay to live in Paradise.
Stay Safe,
:J