Today was my first early day off of the week. I got home about 3, ready to search for a chicken wing recipe (which I found) and make my husband his favorite Japanese Chicken Wings. I set about cutting up the wings into drumettes. Why are they drumettes? Why aren't they wingettes? Anyway, cut them up, floured them, fried them in real butter, made the sauce, poured the sauce over the wings, and put the pan in the oven to cook for 1 1/2 hours. Feeling a bit tired, I went to the living room to sit in front of the big window and watch the world go by.
I noticed a white car in the driveway at my neighbors. It looked like their car but not quite. Something was different. I noticed a young man ducking in the driver's side door like he was putting something in, or taking something out of the backseat. He then got into the car and drove into our cul de sac, stopping right behind my car, then he proceeded half way around the cul de sac and stopped. The next time he started he went back to the drive he pulled out of and stopped. Then he took off quickly down the street. It almost looked like someone who was learning how to drive. It was then I saw him. A fairly well dressed young man (if I didn't know my son was in the backroom, I would have thought it was him) in khaki shorts, button up short sleeve shirt and black ball cap take off running after the car. The really surprising thing was, he was carrying my neighbor's table router. OMG! by the time I got my shoes on and ran to the street they were long gone. They were ripping off my neighbor's garage and when I came to sit down they must have seen me. When I first saw them, I didn't give it a second thought, it looked like their car, it looked like their son kinda. It wasn't until the young man went running down the street that I knew something was wrong. In broad daylight, 4 in the afternoon.
I knew my neighbor would be home soon so I watched for him. When he pulled up, I went over and told him what I saw. I felt bad I couldn't stop them, I felt bad that it was too late to call the police. I felt bad that this is happening in our neighborhood far too often nowadays.
I am in shock and feel violated and it wasn't even my home.
As we talked my neighbor said that they must have been casing the house and watching. Our other neighbor, Bob and my neighbor Mickey are both usually home at that time of day. Both are retired, and Bob or his wife are usually outside. They are our neighborhood watchdogs. But today neither was home.
So now we will watch a bit more closely at the people walking and driving by in our quiet little corner. The real world has invaded our utopia.
:J







