I am shocked at the news of the shootings in the Amish school. That was a sick, sick man. I have read his turmoil over the molestation of his young relatives. I read his grief over losing his daughter. But to kill the most innocent of all children when they have done nothing to him? It's the most horrific of crimes.
I have visited in the Amish community near my in laws home. I have a deep respect for the Amish, their pure living, their love and respect of God. These young girls have not been exposed to the violence of TV, music and movies. They more than likely had not heard of the recent school shootings in our country. They were the most innocent of innocents.
My heart breaks for their families, friends and community. It breaks for the intrusion of our maddening world into their quiet, gentle lives. I cannot imagine what those 5 surviving little girls will have to suffer with for the rest of their lives.
I question my own faith at times like these. How would I be able to forgive someone who did something so horrific to innocent children? Why does God let this happen? An Amish grandfather quoted in our paper said it best. "We think it was God's plan and we are going to have to pick up the pieces and keep going. A funeral to us is a much more important thing than the day of birth because we believe in the hereafter. The children are better off than the survivors." How true.
I pray for them, the survivors, the families. I pray for the shooter's family. I pray for our country to be given the answer to these outrageous crimes against our children. I pray to find forgiveness in my own heart.
Somehow this all has to stop. Our answers need to come soon.
:J







