Friday, May 25, 2007

Memorial Day Weekend

I would say Happy Memorial day weekend, but when you think about it, it's not really a happy occasion. The true meaning of this weekend is to honor those who have fought and died on fields near and far, for our freedom.
Those much younger than I, sons and daughters of our nation, gave their lives for our greatest gift, the freedom to be ourselves. I don't know if I could willingly give that gift. I don't know if I want my children to give that gift. I have been a Navy wife, and while I am appreciative of my husbands service to his country, he didn't give that ultimate sacrifice. He would of if he were asked, but thankfully he wasn't.
So as we settle down for a hotdog and a beer, shop our sales or just laze around and enjoy an extra day off of work, remember those who laid down their lives so that we could choose what we wanted to do this weekend.

:J

PS if you are in the Pensacola area this weekend, you may want to stay away from the beaches and the beach establishments this weekend. Not family atmosphere, but people exersizing their freedom of choice.
Which is why DH and I will be in Jacksonville.