Thursday, May 24, 2007

Morning Coffee

 


Morning Coffee. It is as necessary to me as the blood that flows through my veins. Like friends. Occasionally, usually on Thursday and Friday mornings the two are brought together in one of the offices where I work. Over coffee we catch up on each other, solve the problems of our work world and encourage each other to keep going on.

Nothing like morning coffee and friends. We celebrate each others joys and commiserate each others woes. Today we will put another school year into the file cabinet over coffee. Another lesson learned, another year to plan. But this time as we sit down for a cup, it will be one of our last as our group. Next week at this time, Jackie will officially retire.
Some things will never be the same.

I learned alot over coffee with Jackie. I learned so much about my job, my place I work, and life itself from Jackie. We celebrated her becoming a mother in law over coffee, we celebrated her becoming a grandmother over coffee, we celebrated her teacher of the year award. We celebrated. And we cried. We cried over the misery of Ivan. We cried over office gossip. We cried when Tom, Jackie's husband died suddenly two New Year's Eves ago. We watched principal's come and go, cried over some and celebrated others.

We solved the problems of our workplace, tried to be a part of the solution instead of a part of the problem. A tradition I hope to continue once Jackie is retired. I tease her that she must pray for me every day extra hard, because without her and her wealth of knowledge my job will not be as easy.

So that she will always remember the morning coffee meetings of Jackie, Linda and Jayne. I bought us each a coffee mug. So now every time we pour a cup, we can think of each other, pray for each other and find a solution to what life hands us. It will be soothing to my soul to think of the three of us at morning coffee. Strong women, strong coffee.

:J
Posted by Picasa