Tonite we were channel surfing, looking for something to watch in between Who Wants to be a Millionaire and Grey's Anatomy. We really couldn't find anything to satisfy all three of us. Nothing was looking good on the usual channels and since football is over, there's not really any sports to watch.
We got into some of the channels we don't usually watch, finally settling on Boomerang, a kid's channel. We found the old MGM cartoons and spent the next hour watching them. There was the one on planting the Victory Garden, where the little mole eats it as fast as the farmer bear plants it. Then the one about the Bears that are forest rangers, trying to catch the little flame that's trying to start a forest fire. Another was about the little skunk stealing all the bear's cherries and every time he'd try to get the back, skunk would raise his tail in threat and get to keep the cherries.
I lounged on the couch, in my jammies, curled up with my blanket. I almost went all the way back. Back to those days when I was a child doing the same thing. All I lacked was my dad lounging all over the other end of the couch and I could almost feel his arm around me as I snuggled in the crook of it.
My dad was a jokester. He loved good fun humor. Even tho the old cartoons were also violent and full of adult innuendos, we had no idea what was really happening. They were so funny to us.
I miss those days. We didn't have a cartoon channel, but would get up very early on Saturday just to watch cartoons all morning. In the afternoon when we would get home from school we'd have an hour of cartoons, followed by Batman. My dad would watch Batman with us and read the word bubbles when the fights broke out.
I was missing that tonite.







