Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Winter Retreat

If you asked most 30, 40, 50, and even 60 year old women if they would like to go camping in the woods, in a primitive unheated cabin, with no indoor shower, no indoor bathroom, no tv, no internet in 20-30 degree weather in January, most would tell you NO WAY! But every January about Super bowl time, 40-50 women of those ages gather from all parts of the southeast at a small, but gorgeous state park to spend three days together in those conditions. Here's a cabin, in case you're thinking I'm kidding. Yes, that's a screen door, and yes, it was the only door.
 

Why would a group of women gather together to sleep in conditions such as this, huddled under every blanket they could find to sleep under? Yep, that's your bed!
 

Well,they get together because of this woman, the speechless one to the left. This is Linda, and Linda puts on the most wonderful scrapbooking crops on this earth. She gathers us together, feeds us, comforts us, praises us, listens to all our drama, makes us feel like we are the most special people on earth. All the while we do what we want, when we want, go to sleep when we want, go on adventures when we want, and scrap in between all that.
 

Why is Linda speechless you ask? Well 40 of her friends, friends she has brought together and created a sisterhood, created a scrapbook of their memories of Linda. She was speechless! The only time most of us have ever seen her speechless! Linda has created a haven for us, for the few days we are with her, we are coddled and taken care of by her and her wonderful crew. Most people don't ever know how much they are loved until their funeral when they can't hear it. We wanted Linda to remember forever how much she is loved. She gives much love to all of us, so it's only natural karma that she gets it all back tenfold. Many, many more good times and blessings ahead for you Linda!
Lastly, the class I took put on by Di. I love Di's classes, I always learn something really neat and fun. Diana is also getting me over my freaky faces fear. Yes, I confess, I'm starting to like some of them.
In Di's class we used old dominos and scrabble tiles to create these awesome pendants. I won't tell you all the secrets of them, so that you can take Di's class sometime and learn. But I will tell you they were fun and easy to make. Di always inspires me and we were brainstorming other tiles we could make. I may have made that step into jewelry making. The one I said I'd never take!
 

Too much fun to put in one post, so I'll do another soon. I always say tomorrow, but that never happens so let's leave it at soon!
Send good thoughts and prayers to my friend Kip, who got sick over the weekend with a migrane (Kip, I think Linda is right, it may be the smoke, I've had a headache since but not as bad as yours)
Also good thoughts & prayers for the most fantastic chef I know, Jule's hubby, E. He spoils us with his wonderful cooking whenever we visit. My friend Kelsey, who is traveling to take care of her mom going in for her 8th cancer operation in 10 years. And finally, last but not least, my friend Kathy and her husband, Dan, while they are in Jacksonville going through tests for Dan's kidney transplant.
More soon, I promise!
Posted by Picasa