Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Because Some Days You Should

Today began as a day like most others. I got up, I got dressed, I fed the animals, I combed my hair, I brushed my teeth, I went to work. It was foggy, dreary, just a day.
At work I took care of some paperwork, filed, worked on the computer, took care of a new employee, it was just another day. The sun burned off the fog as I watched from my office window. The sky turned blue, but cloudy. I watched all of this from my corner office.
I called to check on my friend, Linda, who recently had surgery. We talked a bit and the subject of the beach came up. "That's what I can do!" Linda exclaimed. "I can go to the beach!"
I told her she was such a dog for mentioning that. She told me I had no reason not to go. And I didn't. I have comp time. So I did. I asked my principal if he had a burning need for me to be there, put in a leave form and went to the beach. Because....
1. Today is July 1st. The year is half over, 182 1/2 days have passed this year and I bet half of them I have sat at work, wishing I were at the beach.
2. It was an absolutely gorgeous day. It rained all weekend, the rain took some of the humidity out of the air and cooled the temps a bit. Perfect day for the beach.
3. My tan was fading. If I am going to Wisconsin in 3 weeks, I need to look like I live in Florida.
4. That pile of work? it will be there tomorrow.
5. My stress level was too high, too early in the morning. Things were getting to me, what better place to get the stress level down than the beach.
6. Linda is leaving for Kansas tomorrow for a week. I needed to see her.
7. I have a beach pass, going to the beach is free.
8. Life is too short, more days should be spent at the beach.
9. I needed to sit and laugh at the tourists. The ones who wear white socks and shoes to the beach. (and they were under 30)
10. Because. It seemed like a good idea.
And it was.

:J