Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day Pa!

 

First of all I need to say no one will ever replace my Dad. No One. I miss him every day, every hour, Every minute. He is the mold for Dads that was broken the minute God was finished him. There will never be another like him. I love you Dad!

That said, now we'll talk about the man who runs a close second, my Pa, Wally. Wally is really my father in law, but in the past 15 years he has become my Pa. My husband says he was a tough dad. He didn't take any crap from anyone, from his kids, to city councilmen, to cops, or even the Priest at their local parish. Now he says his dad is just an old man trying to be nice and get into heaven.

I can't vouch for the time past the last 22 years I have known him. If he was as gruff as my hubby says, then I think he's wrong. Pa is a hard working, God loving, family first man. His love for his wife and family are undeniably one of his greatest characteristics. I know that part of the reason my husband dotes so much on me is because of the love Pa showed Ma all these 55+ years. Her and I both know we are Queens of the house, no matter how much we deny it!

Pa will give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. At 75 years old he delivers Meals on Wheels to the "old people". We call him the "Grand Poobah" as he is so involved with his church and the KCs that he has been honored many times by both. But he doesn't do all of this work for the accolades. He does it to be involved, to make the world a better place.

He loves all of his grandchildren from the littlest great grand to all the older grands. He has the patience of a saint, but when you've made him reach the end of that patience, he lets you know with his trademark "Enough Now!" I have learned to be a better parent from him.

Pa and I share a special banter. He loves to tease me, and I love to tease him back. Sometimes neither of us is sure the other isn't serious. But it's all in good fun and very much love! He always tells me, "If I didn't love you, I wouldn't tease you!" I love to rag him about the Packers, the Brewers and everything else in between. He teases me about still being a Bears fan after all these years I've been a Packer fan. But, I tell him right back "The only reason I became a Packer's fan, is to keep peace and harmony in the family and to stay in the will!"

I know he knows how much I love him and appreciate him. We talk on the phone at least once a week. I wish we were closer in mileage. I know we are close in heart.

So Happy Father's Day Pa!