Friday, June 01, 2007

My Very Own Weatherman

Actually he is so much more than that. He is my protector, my jokester, my companion. He is usually first to greet me when I come home from work in the afternoon. He needs me as much as I need him. He also has a gift for knowing bad weather.
Tuesday morning when DH got up to go to work, Dakota, like usual, jumped up in our bed. Instead of laying near the foot as he always does, he snuggled right up next to me. As next to me as he could get without being on top of me. Later after I got up and was ready to go to work, he refused to go outside like usual. The sky was darker, as if we were going to get some much needed rain that day. But it didn't rain.
Wednesday morning, the tv weatherman began talking about a tropical front down in the gulf. I did get Dakota to go outside that day, but when I came home he was by myside. Not lay at my feet like he always does by my side, I mean glued to my leg by my side. It had rained most of the day, but it was a gentle rain with no lightning or thunder. He had spent most of the day inside with Patrick. So his sticktomeness was troubling.
Thursday I tricked him into going out by grabbing a ball and heading out the door myself. I threw it a few times and then told him "enough, I have to get to work."
Again, when I got home he would not leave me alone. He was at my side everywhere. I was doing laundry and he stayed with me every step of the way.
So here it is Friday and TS Barry is in the Gulf. Where is Dakota? On my foot as I type this.
He senses weather. I think he knows as soon as a storm begins developing in the gulf. He evacuates with me every hurricane. He has his own storm mode. He is my weatherman,