I survived the challenge! I spotted the whole game. It was sooo much fun! I think I can make a career of this. LOL! NOT!
First of all the Dad that was announcing was a nervous wreck. It didn't help that he didn't know how to run the tape player. Okay, it wasn't a tape player it was a CD player. So we had no Star Spangled Banner.
The clock ref didn't stop feeding his face and climb in the booth until 30 seconds before the game started, and we were panicked. We thought we'd have to run the clock. We didn't know he was there. (This ref is my hubby's fav-or-rite ref, he's collecting the paycheck, that's it).
I kept telling the Dad that's it's just a JV game, it's okay if they don't all get their names announced. Varsity is when you get your name announced and pronounced right. (He was doing a fine job) and if you are on the visiting team, if we miss your name, oh well.
Three of the boys didn't have the right jersey on, or they weren't on the roster. That was crazy. But we worked it out at half time. We asked. A mom complained we weren't saying her son's name right. No it was printed on the roster wrong
My job was to tell him all the offensive stuff that was going on, watching the ball, all that. I got it right most of the time. I can now almost tell when they are passing the ball and when they will run the ball before the ball is snapped.
The Dad's wife kept calling him on his cellphone, telling him to announce the snack bar, the cheerleaders, to clean up after the game. He was getting ticked about it. I thought it was humorous. Men are so funny.
So this was really trial run. Tomorrow night is Varsity, we have to get everything right. Good thing I know most of those players and their numbers.
But the best thing? We won 35-0. Hubby has only lost one game as the JV defensive line coach in two years. I'm so proud of him! (and the boys!)
:J







