The past few days I knew something was up. I knew in the back of my mind there was a full moon. You can't sit in a football stadium two nights in a row with a clear sky and not know that. But I would have known even if I hadn't looked in the sky.
Saturday was wonderful. Stamptemberfest was a blast! A bunch of crazy fun ladies all day long, stampin' and creatin'. Ann was the best hostess, Sherri cooked some great food, and Sharon taught us some great techniques. It was a great paper therapy day for me!
Sunday is when I could tell the moon got full. I was putting away dishes and I dropped my favorite glass mixing bowl. My favorite much older sister had given me this bowl, many years ago, it came with a stand mixer which bit the dust long ago. The mixer was replaced, but the bowl stayed.
It was a great every day glass mixing bowl, just a bit on the heavy side, nothing fancy, clear, that was just perfect for 90% of the things I do in the kitchen. As soon as it dropped, it shattered into a million little pieces. DH came running to my rescue as he always does and started sweeping up all the pieces. It was then that all the memories of that bowl came flooding back to me and I just started a boohooing.
All the birthday cakes, cheeseballs, 7 layer salads, potato salads, fajita fixin's, fudge, peanut brittle and the like that we've made over the years. That ole' bowl served us well. It's been dressed up for a fancy table and dressed down as a garbage bowl when I'm doing a cooking marathon. Everyone should have a bowl that serves them so well. It wasn't as pretty as some of my other bowl, but it was always the first one I reached for because I knew I could count on it.
I'll probably never have a bowl as good as this one. I don't even know if I could find a bowl worthy enough to replace it. I'll miss that old glass bowl.
A sad day Sunday was for sure. In more ways than one, that ole full moon brought more craziness in our lives as the surf claimed the life of a friend. Chris was a new teacher at our school this year, a real dynamo who brightened a room just by being in it. He was a quick wit and already a real asset to our team.
While visiting the beach on Sunday he was caught in a riptide and pulled out. He was rescued and appeared to be fine, but was being taken to the hospital as a precaution. On the way, he went into cardiac arrest and died. Chris was 41.
We were shocked this morning as our principal made the rounds to tell us. Chris was such a bright spot in our lives for the few weeks he was in it. He was an inspiration to us as he quickly became one of the go getters on our faculty. I know I will miss his quick wit. Such a shock.
For him I will say to all who may ever visit a beach on the Gulf. Obey the flags. A red flag meaning dangerous surf was flying the day he went into the water. The waters are not as calm as they seem on top. Rip Current (undertow) is very dangerous. It will pull you out in a matter of moments. If you get caught, let it take you and then swim to the side out of it. But be safe and don't get in the water. We'll miss you Chris.







