This project has actually been on going the past few weeks. I'm not quite done with it, but I needed to get it hung and out of the scrap room. Elle from Hilltop Memories designed this project. She taught it as a class at one of the fabulous Hilltop Reteats. I didn't get to take the class, but bought the kit at a later retreat. Elle's a fabulous person, and this is one of my favorite designs by her.
First is the overall board. I soaked the metal corners in vinegar for a few days to turn them dark. They were really shiny when I got them. If you have something shiny metal that you would like to age, put your items in a glass bowl and cover them with vinegar. Any cheap vinegar works, you don't need expensive stuff. Unless you like the smell of vinegar, cover the bowl with a plate. Otherwise your whole house smells like vinegar for the entire time.
I did the crackle paint effect for the frame. I used a mix of blue and black for the undercoat, and of course red on top. I love barn red, it's my favorite color. I would love to have about 12 ft of old red barn wood to do a wall of my kitchen!
I also used the Chalkboard spray paint to spray the piece of sheet metal in the center. LOVE chalkboard spray paint. If I had untextured walls I think I would do a whole wall somewhere in the house. That stuff is soo cool!
Next is one of the bottle cap magnets in the kit. I used a picture of my 3 boys when they were younger. It was Patrick's birthday, he's in the middle, Kevin on the left and Daniel on the right.
The conglomeration of magnets. I used some quotes I loved on the sticker sheet from 7Gypsies. I love good inspirational quotes. I'm always giving the boys quotes. When they played sports in High School. I would give them a quote on game day morning. especially during football season. So that's my work in progress! I have some weekday magnets from the dollar spots at Jo's that I want to add to this. And I have to go buy some chalk for the chalkboard. I work at a school, you think I could find one piece of chalk there but I couldn't!
:J







