Sunday, April 20, 2008

Another Busy Day in Paradise

I was up before dawn, had coffee and read the paper on the deck all by 7:30. I knew it was going to be another gorgeous day, I wanted to savor and be thankful for every minute of it! That's exactly what I did!
There's something about planting and having my hands in dirt that just does it for me. Even more so than paper and glue do. I like to plant, I don't always like to take care of, so I start every spring with good intentions. I fill my planters with oodles of flowers and about July, when it starts to get hot, I give up! But this year is starting out cooler, so maybe I will stick with it longer.
Here a pictures of my plantings this year, well some of them. I can't blog more than four pictures at a time.
I was excited to find a bottlebrush bush yesterday at the nursery. But I forgot to get it. So this morning, off I went and now it has a home! I love our little nursery down the street. They get the neatest plants. The guys (all 3 of them) know me and know I like different stuff. So they made sure to point this out to me. It attracks hummingbirds and butterflies. That's Dakota in the background. He thinks I should put the camera down and get his ball to play with him. He thinks anytime someone comes outside that they should play with him, first and foremost. Silly dog.
 

I plant most everything in pots. We don't have very good soil because our oak trees deplete all the good nutrients and water from our yard. We gave up on growing grass, so now we just mow the weeds because they are at least green. A collection of my pots full of flowers soon to bloom.
 

A few years back when we put our pool in, we built another deck a third of the way around the pool. Since it's visible from the street and a half a block away, I try to make it nice for the neighborhood. This year in the rail planters I've decided to go pink and purple. Petunias that is. I also added some viney pink & purple & white flowers to hang over too. Do you think I know all the names of these flowers? I don't! My jasmine has really taken off this year also. I hope it covers all that wood!
 

Out front we have a small circle of lilies with a whiskey barrel planter. The lilies are just starting to bloom. The planter stayed very damp last year and most of the flowers died. So this year I stuck all the leftovers there and we'll see what happens.
 

I didn't show you the herbs, the window box or the planter by the front door. The herbs will be a whole nother post, and the others will have to wait till they grow. They just look like seedlings now. Hopefully everything will survive and in a few weeks I'll have a yard full of blooms! Till then, I'll water and pray!
I hope you had a wonderful day like I did! 89 more days like this to go!